Don’t get me wrong, I love breakfast. It is one of my fave meals of the day.
Then I ran across the idea for these Brown Rice BLT Bowls on Bon Appetit and it stopped me in my tracks. At last, something NEW for breakfast!
I have fallen in love with brown rice. I have no clue what took me so damn long! Maybe it is because I thought it was harder to cook than regular white rice?
Maybe I thought the rest of the fam would hate the change?
I mean, we are a rice lovin’ family! We will have rice at least once a week, if not 2 or 3 times!
But I love that slightly nutty flavor, and the fact that it is healthier for you is a huge bonus in my book.
So one night I threw caution to the wind, and cooked up a post of brown rice for the meal.
Now, I do cook my rice in chicken stock, so it is super flavorful, so how could they NOT love it? And boy do they love it!
I was super happy because sometimes it is hard to get them to switch to a healthier version of their favorite foods.
Do you have that same problem? Such a pain right?
I was also excited because I was able to get Mini Me to eat tomatoes! Of course it helps that I sauteed them a bit in the bacon fat (sshhh don’t tell) but hey, I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth!
But back to this bowl of goodness. I honestly could not stop shoveling it in my face!! Between that nutty brown rice, sauteed tomatoes, garlicky spinach, spicy yogurt, and that sunny side up egg……ohhhh that egg! What was there not to like?
So now I have added another dish to my breakfast rotation.
2 more and I will actually have enough to eat something different everyday of the week!
Brown Rice BLT Bowls
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Place the brown rice and chicken stock in a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a bowl, then cover and reduce to low heat. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat but leave the lid on. Allow the rice to set for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the grape tomatoes to the skillet and cook until they begin to slump, about 2 minutes. Remove the tomatoes, with a slotted spoon, to a bowl.
- Place the spinach in the skillet, along with the garlic, and cook until it begins to wilt. Remove to a separate bowl or plate.
- Fry eggs in the skillet (add butter if needed) until whites are cooked through but the yokes are still runny. To assemble BLT bowls: add 1 cup of brown rice, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, egg, and season with salt and black pepper. Top with spicy yogurt and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
- Calories: 365
- Totalcarbs: 24
- Fat: 22
- Protein: 20
- Sodium: 973
Tags: brown rice, eggs, tomatoes, spinach, bacon
Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let’s stay connected!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.