I try people, I really do try to stay on the healthy train this time of year. We all loaded up on rich, calorie-loaded foods last month, I know. But, it is also damn cold outside, and my body is screaming for warm, creamy, tummy-hugging, soul-warming comfort food! And when my body screams she usually gets what she wants! I am easy like that.
I can tell you that I had zero complaints from the peanut gallery on this one. In fact, Miss Picky Pants saw it on the menu at the beginning of the week and kept asking me when I was going to make it. Arrggg it was like taking a road trip with a toddler. Are we there yet….are we there yet….are we there yet?
I need to start hiding that list. There is a stovetop white mac and cheese on there that she is hounding me about now!
But, once this was done, and in our faces? Oh ya, then I was asking myself what took me so long! If it hadn’t been so hot I think I would have grabbed the pot and slurped it from there!!
I mean, what is there not to like?
Loaded with veggies
Juicy chunks of ham
Ya ummmm, it all works for me!
And, if we want to go there, I did lighten it up a bit by subbing out some of the half and half for stock and regular 2% milk.
So I feel better, how about you?
The fam could have really cared less, none of them are about the new year resolution dealio. They just want tasty food in their faces, and this filled that bill for them 100%
Jessi and Kevin actually rock, paper, scissored to see who got to take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day!
Kevin won, so about an hour later I found menus on the fridge for the next few weeks. All of them had Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Chowder written on them.
Hhmmm I wonder who could have done that?
MORE GREAT SOUP RECIPES
Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Chowder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 pound ham steak (or leftover ham), chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Redmond’s real sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
How to cook Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Chowder
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and the milk, then add the potatoes bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, and ham, and cook 5 minutes longer or until broccoli is tender, and ham is warmed through.
- Discard the bay leaves. Add the half and half and remove from heat. Slowly add the cheese to the soup and whisk until melted. Add more chicken stock (or water) if the soup is too thick