I love the fact that this is one of the recipes I make that when my kids hear what I am making I hear a resounding YAY!!!
They refer to it as my “Famous” Chicken and Dumplings.
Gotta say that makes me feel good. I have been chomping at the bit for Fall weather to arrive just to make this meal!
So you know when I found out this week’s Sunday Supper theme was “Soul Warming Dishes” I jumped ALL over it!!
This truly is a soul-warming meal. It is the perfect comfort food to me. There is never a time (OK maybe if it is 80’s degrees outside) that this doesn’t sound good to me, and I know the family feels the same.
This is one of the first recipes that I came up with and have the recipe in my head. It has become more “a little bit of this and ……. oh ya, some more of that……ok let’s add this too vs a strict recipe.
So you can imagine when I got down to the business of cooking I thought “Hhhmmmm I had better pay attention to what I do so I can actually “write” a recipe.
I was glad I caught myself from the beginning so I didn’t have to backtrack and guess. I am sure you all wouldn’t appreciate a recipe that was a “guess” more than an actual recipe. Nobody wants to cook an experiment when they are hoping for a good meal!
If you are trying to eat healthier you can leave the dumplings off but they are OH so good, it would be hard for me to do that. I have made them from scratch but have used a little help from my friend Bisquick at times too, so if you want to make the dumpling and still be a bit “healthier” they have reduced fat Bisquick now and that can be an option as well.
Either way, I am sure you will love this one!!
Chicken with Herbed Dumplings
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded with skin and bones removed
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalk celery (with leaves on), diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and poultry seasoning to the pot and stir well. Cover the pot and continue to cook the veggies over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and add the flour, stir to combine well and cook for about 1 minutes to cook away the raw flour taste. Add the white wine, and stock (If you do not use wine add 6 cups of chicken stock). Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer soup for 30 minutes, until sauce has thickened and the vegetables are soft. Adjust seasoning if needed and add the shredded chicken.
- In a medium bowl mix Bisquick, milk, and parsley. Stir until combined and drop by spoonfuls into soup. Cook the dumplings uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid and turn off heat. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving. Soup will be HOT!
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 51 mins.
Total time: 66 mins.
Tags: soup, dumplings, chicken,