Cream of Mushroom Soup with Port Wine
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups (about 1 pound) cremini mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped, 2 cups sliced and 2 cups finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (plus some for garnish if wanted)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup tawny port wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large sauce pot, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in the mushrooms and thyme and cook till the mushrooms have released most of their water, about 5 minutes.
- Add the port wine and continue to simmer until the liquid is almost gone, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the flour until it is all incorporated into the reduced wine. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the heavy cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings in necessary.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: soup, mushroom, comfort food, vegetarian
Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let’s stay connected!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram. Make sure to tag @BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.