Creamy Asparagus and White Bean Soup with Goat Cheese
The addition of white beans makes this asparagus soup extra silky and creamy without adding cream. Plus they add protein and fiber making this soup not only delicious, but healthy as well.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- Coat a Dutch oven with olive oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and bring to a medium heat. Saute until the vegetables are tender and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the tips from the asparagus and reserve. Cut the stalks of the asparagus into 1-inch lengths and add them to the pot. Continue to saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beans and enough stock to cover the asparagus and beans (about 4 to 5 cups), reserve the rest for later. Taste for seasoning and add salt, if needed. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- On a separate burner, bring a small pot of well salted water to a boil over high heat. Have a small bowl of well salted ice water on standby. Cook the asparagus tips in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove them from the boiling water and plunge them immediately into the ice water. When the tips are cool, remove them from the water, pat dry and reserve.
- In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree the asparagus stock mixture adding the remaining stock if need to thin the soup. Strain through a mesh strainer, if desired. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Garnish with the reserved asparagus tips and crumbled goat cheese.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 33 mins.
Total time: 43 mins.
Tags: asparagus, onion, celery, garlic, white beans, goat cheese, soup
Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let’s stay connected!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.