Italian Style Skillet Pie
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed and quartered
- 1 cup chopped celery, plus 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped (some reserved for topping if wanted)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons room temperature butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with cold water and add the potatoes, cauliflower and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into a preheated 10-inch cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Allow the oil to heat up, and then add the turkey sausage, salt and pepper. Press the meat into the pan and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes, and then turn and caramelize the other side.
- When the sausage is caramelized, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the celery, celery leaves and onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Return the cooked sausage to the pan and stir in the parsley. Add a red wine. Remove from the heat and set aside. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- When the potatoes and cauliflower are done cooking, drain and mash well. Stir in the Parmesan and butter until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the potato mixture over the beef mixture in the pan, and smooth the top to seal in the sausage mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes. Top with chopped parsley leaves if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Tags: cauliflower, italian sausage, Main Dishes, potato, St Patrick's Day, Shepherd's Pie,
Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.