Grilling and summer go together like peanut butter and jelly! Once the weather hits 70, I am ready to say goodbye to my oven and camp outside for the remainder of the summer. But hey, if you only had 2 to 3 months of sunshine all year, like we do in Western Washington, you would feel the same way, I am positive!
One of the things I love to do on those balmy summer nights is to enjoy a nice glass of wine outside on the deck with my guy. I know a lot of people think that grilling calls for some cold beer, but I am here to say “No-no my friends”, wine is where it is at!
No matter what you might be grilling up, I can guarantee that there is a wine that will compliment it better than beer. Oh, now don’t feel snubbed beer. I still love you. I just love my grill + lovely weather + wine a teensy bit more.
So when I was chosen to participate in this week’s Sunday Supper with Gallo Family Vineyards, I was over the moon happy! I love Gallo wine! Then I found out that I would be receiving a bottle of their fabulous Merlot, as well as a bottle of their Sweet White Blend. I love their Sweet White Blend, and used that to make my Crepes with Sweet Wine Poached Berries. Which were oh my goodness awesome! The wine with the berries is just a marriage made in heaven.
But I am a true red wine girl. It is a toss up as to which Gallo red wine I love the most. Their Burgundy is so rich and hearty, the Pinot Noir is such a great medium bodied wine that I love to just sip while I am relaxing. Their Merlot is bolder than the Pinot Noir, with a nice fruit forward flavor. I immediately wanted to pair that with something a little spicey, and since the theme for this week was “Grilling” I knew steak was hitting the heat!
The day couldn’t have been any better if I had planned it. The weather was gorgeous, our kids came by, and the steak was, well it was just truly amazing! The kids have requested that we grill it at least 2 or 3 more times before summer’s end, so I guess that means they liked it too. I hope you will give it a try, and make sure to pick up an extra bottle of wine to enjoy with the steak!
Merlot Marinated Flank Steak with Spicy Chimichurri
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- 1 2-pound (approx) flank steak
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup Gallo Merlot
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Whisk together shallots, garlic, rosemary, wine and olive oil in a large baking dish. Add the steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat one side of your grill to high.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and blot with a paper towel. Brush the steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steak over high heat until browned all over, 8 minutes. Turn the steak once halfway through. Move the meat away from the direct heat and grill for 3 or 4 more minutes per side, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 125 degrees F for medium-rare. Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Slice against the grain in 1/2 inch slices.
- Put all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. With the machine running, stream in the olive oil until well incorporated. Serve with the steak.edge. Fold crust edge up over mixture, pleating crust as necessary.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 04 hrs. 30 mins.
Cook time: 8 mins.
Total time: 4 hrs. 38 mins.
Tags: #SundaySupper, bay leaf, BBQ and Grilling, beef, cilantro, Gallo Family, garlic, parsley, red wine, rosemary, shallot
Ready for more fabulous recipes? Check out what the rest of the gang has to share!
- Grilled Brie with Tropical Fruit Compote by girlichef
- Grilled Peach Bruschetta by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Salads and Sides:
- Grilled Caesar Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Mushrooms with Merlot Reduction by The Messy Baker
- Asian Pork Lettuce Cups by Magnolia Days
- BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Cheddar Merlot Burgers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Chicken with Blueberry-Merlot Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Hawaiian Sea Salt Tuna Nuggets by Family Foodie
- Grilled Honey Lime Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Chops with a Strawberry Jam Glaze by Savvy Eats
- Grilled Ribeye with Mushroom Merlot Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers with a Sweet White Blend Marinade by Country Girl in the Village
- Merlot Marinated Flank Steak with Spicy Chimichurri by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Merlot Burger by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Shish Kabobs in Red Wine Rosemary Marinade by The Dinner-Mom
- Tandoori-style Lamb Chops by kimchi MOM
- Grilled Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone by Desserts Required
- Vanilla Ice Cream with Grilled Peaches by Hip Foodie Mom
Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for more inspiration, ideas, and updates. Want to incorporate Gallo Family wines into your summer BBQ? Check out Gallo Family Grilling Recipes and check out other wines that are perfect for grill season.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.