Pasta Bake – Pasta al Forno
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red wine (I used a good balsamic vinegar)
- 1 28-ounce can of tomato puree
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1.5 cups milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 4 ounces provolone, chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella/bocconcini, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- For the Ragu’ Sauce, put the extra virgin olive oil, celery, carrot and onion in a big pot and sauté them for a few minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the ground beef, stir well breaking hte meat up with a wooden spoon. When the meat is nicely browned, add the wine (or balsamic vinegar) and cook off the alcohol by increasing the flame.
- Add the tomato purée, salt and pepper. Fill the tomato can up with water and add it to the pot. Lower the flame to medium-low, cover and simmer letting the sauce cook for at least 1 hour, or until thick. Keep aside.
- For the Béchamel Sauce, put the butter in a non stick pot and let it melt.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until well incorporated. Let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add milk slowly, whisking continuously.
- Season with salt and nutmeg and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until it thickens. Cover to prevent a film from forming on the top.
- To assemble the dish, cook the pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions.
- Combine the cooked, drained pasta in the pot with the meat sauce, add the Béchamel Sauce and mix well.
- Add the chopped mozzarella, provolone and ⅔ of the grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir to combine.
- Pour into an oven dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining grated Parmigiano Reggiano and cover it with aluminium foil.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then uncover it and continue to bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Cook time: 01 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 35 mins.
Tags: beef, onion, carrot, celery, cheese, pasta, #SecretRecipeClub, Italian, Main Dishes, Budget Meals,