Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili
- 4 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 pound shredded pork carnitas (can sub pulled pork if wanted)
- Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bottle dark Mexican beer (I used Negro Modelo)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Cook the bacon in a 6-quart heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the fat renders. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel and reserve for garnish later if desired. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and poblanos. Cook until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Push the pepper and onion mixture to the edges and add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no pink remains, then stir in the carnitas, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and beer. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to get any browned bits up, then add tomatoes, stock, pinto beans, and black beans, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Taste, correct the seasoning, and continue to simmer, stirring often, for another 30 minutes, or the chili is reduced to your liking.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro and cooked bacon.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 02 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 25 mins.
Tags: bacon, beer, chili, cilantro, ground beef, comfort food
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.