By now I am sure the majority of you know that Kevin is not a big soup fan, which makes it difficult for me since he is who I live with and I am kind of expected to feed him too. Such a pain in the rear right? Then add more pressure on top of that because he never eats tomato soup. I have tried and tried for years, but no go. I all but gave up thinking I was ever going to enjoy one of my favorites again. But! I remembered one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego, and their amazing lobster bisque. OhhEmmGeee don’t even get me started on that!! Anyway, the point being is that one of the things that I loved about their bisque was the float of sherry they poured on at the end. It just gave it a depth and richness that nothing else could do.
So whyyyyyyyyy not use it in my tomato soup? Why not make it super rich and creamy like that lobster bisque? Why not go completely crazy and add bacon too? Well, the answer to all of the above was LET’S GO!! It all sounded good to me. Plus, and this is the big thing, I thought they would all lend in the game plan to get Kevin on board with tomato soup. I wasn’t going to hold my breath that he would pack his bags for the trip, but I did have some hope he might right the train to the next stop.
Then right before I headed into the kitchen to make it I got the dreaded question.
“What is for dinner”?
(Uh ohhhh) “Ummmm soup?”
“What kind of soup?”
(Seriously? *sigh*) “It is a creamy bisque with some bacon and basil in it”.
(Do what? No 20 questions?) “It will be ready soon”
So, after I picked myself up off of the floor, I whipped a pot of this yumminess up. I plopped a bowl down in front of him with a big ol’ hunk of crusty bread, and got the “look” when he realized it was tomato soup. But, he went into for a taste……then grabbed the bread and went in for a dip…..then silence. After a deep sigh (so dramatic) he had to tell me how much he liked it.
Now I have 2 more dinners worth in the freezer, and I am a very happy soup loving girl!!
Cheesy Chicken Tenders
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Cook bacon in a large soup pot over medium-high heat until it begins to crisp. Remove half of the bacon and drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and cook 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more or until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the sherry and cream; simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of the basil and remove soup from heat. Blend with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender and blend in small batches) until smooth.
- Place bisque in serving bowls; top with the remaining bacon, basil and a drizzle of cream (optional).
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 40 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: bacon, onion, garlic, tomato, cream, basil, soup