This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
A couple weeks ago I did a Facebook Live for 5 easy to make low carb marinades to help you meal prep through the quarantine.
I love ALL of the marinades that I demonstrated but, this chimichurri is definitely one of my faves! It works beautifully with chicken, fish, pork, and this family's favorite, beef.
I opted for flank steak because, to me, it is one of the easiest cuts of beef to work with. It pretty much lives to be marinated and is a breeze to cook. You can use it with sheet pan meals like this Sheet Pan Steak with Broccoli and Radishes, or these Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas. Or you can grill it like this Vietnamese Flank Steak, Merlot Marinated Flank Steak, or this deeelicious Carne Asada Burrito Bar idea.
For this recipe it was raining so my idea of grilling outdoors turned into grilling indoors.
I busted out my trusty cast iron grill pan, heated it up, and away I went.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHIMICHURRI FLANK STEAK
- Flank steak
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, rough chopped
- Fresh oregano
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
One of the things that can throw you off keto or low carb eating is variety. There are a ton of easy to grab meals in the store but not very many of them are low carb friendly. So, coming up with tasty easy to make meal ideas is crucial to success in this way of eating.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I loves me some cream and cheese, but you can't eat that way all of the time, and some people prefer to go dairy-free.
This recipe is a perfect example of easy dairy-free, flavorful, low carb eating!
Now, you can marinate as short, or long, as you like.
I always suggest at least 8 hours of marinade time. 24 hours seems to be the sweet spot though.
For this, however, the Mr stepped in and took over the grill for a couple of days. So my timeline got thrown off a bit.
So total marinade time was actually 3 days.
I was shocked by how much flavor really got into that meat from that long time in the fridge!
Holy flavor bomb Batman! It was soooooo good!!
No, that doesn't work when you are trying to come up with quick, one-day meal ideas. And, trust me, the flavor gets in there even with just a few hours of time.
But, if you have the time to plan ahead do it. You will be SO happy you did!
To achieve the yumminess above you need to fire that grill up, or heat a grill pan to medium-high to high heat.
Drizzle some olive oil and slap the steak on.
I will warn you, I have no fan in my kitchen right now so windows were opened! It will smoke, don't freak out.
Depending on the thickness of your steak, cook for about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
I like the touch test.
Touch the steak.
Does it feel like it feels when you poke the heal of your palm? BINGO you are medium-rare.
Double-check with an internal thermometer.
Pull the steak when it reaches about 125 degrees F. Tent it with foil and let it sit 5 to 10 minutes.
Dinner is served!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHIMICHURRI FLANK STEAK
MORE DELICIOUS LOW CARB GRILLED BEEF RECIPES
Chimichurri Flank Steak
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves, rough chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- Sea salt
- 2-pound flank steak
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth and well combined.
- Place the flank steak and marinade in a gallon zipper-top bag. Allow steak to marinade in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours.
- Remove the steak from the fridge and allow it to come to room temp on the counter in the bag (1 to 2 hours).
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high/high heat.
- If using a grill pan, drizzle with olive oil.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and place on the grill. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from the grill when the internal temp is 125 degrees F (for medium-rare).
- Tent with foil and allow the steak to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice steak against the grain.