This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This low carb and keto friendly creamy mustard chicken is juicy and delicious. Made with tangy Dijon mustard, fresh herbs, and a touch of cream, it is a decadent recipe that is perfect for entertaining but easy enough for a family meal. The bonus is that it is a one-pan meal so clean-up is easy peasy!
Looking for more low carb and keto chicken recipe ideas? Give this Keto Chicken Tetrazzini or Keto Lemon Asparagus Chicken Pasta a try!
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
MORE KETO & LOW CARB RECIPES
Keto Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan | Chicken with Mushroom Garlic Sauce
With the summer winding down and kids going back to school many of you have been asking for quick and easy recipes with a bonus if it is budget-friendly.
Well, my friends, it doesn't get much easier or more affordable than this Creamy Mustard Chicken.
The bonus is that it clocks in at only 3 net carbs per serving!
When you want to boost the flavor in a dish mustard is a great way to do it. I didn't use it for many years because my youngest hated mustard. If she even saw me touch the mustard while cooking she wouldn't eat it.
She didn't get the nickname Miss Picky Pants for nothing!
Fast forward a few years and now she loves it. Not to eat on a sandwich, but as an ingredient in a recipe.
I even sent this recipe to her to test out for me and she and her boyfriend both gave it a thumbs up. He is a chef so that of course made me uber happy!
Mustard is also naturally low carb so if you are counting those little suckers it is again a fabulous ingredient to use.
You can use whatever mustard you prefer in this recipe. I have used Dijon and whole grain, but there are some tasty specialty mustards out there I am sure would be just as delicious if not more so.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE CREAMY MUSTARD CHICKEN
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.INGREDIENTS
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Pink sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Chicken bone broth (homemade or store-bought)
- Dijon mustard or whole grain
- Heavy cream
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh thyme leaves, chopped (can sub 2 teaspoons dried)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY MUSTARD CHICKEN
Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and season well with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through, then remove with tongs to a plate.STEP 2
Lower the heat to medium and add the butter to the skillet.STEP 3
Cook the onions for 5-6 minutes until soft and translucent, add the garlic during the last minute. STEP 4
Pour in the bone broth and stir to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, then simmer to reduce for about 3 minutes.STEP 5
Stir in mustard, heavy cream, lemon juice, and thyme leaves. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper if needed.STEP 6
Add the chicken back to the skillet to cook for a minute or two to warm. Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
FAQS ABOUT CREAMY MUSTARD CHICKEN
Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts or even bone in skin on chicken thighs. I use the boneless skinless thighs because they are the most forgiving as far as price and dryness are concerned. Just make sure your chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Can I use white wine instead of chicken bone broth?
Yes, you want to make sure to cook the wine off for a few minutes after you add it to remove the alcohol. Also, be aware of the change to the nutritional info if you are counting carbs.
Can I make this Creamy Mustard Chicken dairy-free?
Absolutely! Just substitute dairy-free butter and canned coconut milk (it is thicker than the cartoned options).
How do I store the leftover Creamy Mustard Chicken?
You can store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Last thoughts about Creamy Mustard Chicken
This recipe is honestly one of the recipes I keep in my back pocket for company.
Not that the family doesn't deserve a delicious meal, and they do get this quite often. It is just that this is one of those recipes that tastes amazing but doesn't take a ton of ingredients, dishes, or time to make.
It is literally a one-pot wonder that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
How can you go wrong with that??The Mr likes to refer to it as "fancy".
I served it to him over mashed cauliflower with a nice salad on the side and he said he felt like he was eating at a restaurant.
Gotta love that guy!!
MORE KETO AND LOW CARB RECIPES
- Chicken Alfredo Zoodle Bake
- Low Carb Butter Chicken
- Baked Green Chile Chicken
- Keto Garlic Chicken In Tomato Cream Sauce
- Keto Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Ground Chicken Meatballs with Creamy Garlic Sauce
Creamy Mustard Chicken
- 1 tongs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- pink salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup chicken bone broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard or whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves chopped (can sub 2 teaspoons dried)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through, then remove with tongs to a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the butter to the skillet.
- Cook the onions for 5-6 minutes until soft and translucent, add the garlic during the last minute.
- Pour in the bone broth and stir to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, then simmer to reduce for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in mustard, heavy cream, lemon juice, and thyme leaves.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet to cook for a minute or two to warm.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
Leave a Reply