Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
One of the first things I did after I got my Instant Pot was to make homemade bone broth/stock.
BENEFITS OF BONE BROTH
- Bone broth contains minerals that help build and strengthen your bones. It also contains many other healthy nutrients, including vitamins, amino acids, and essential fatty acids.
- Bone broth supports healthy digestion. It may be beneficial for individuals with inflammatory bowel diseases.
- The amino acids in bone broth can help fight inflammation. Because of this, eating it may help protect against things like heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, and many types of cancer.
- The amino acids in bone broth help support joint health, and consuming it may help lessen the symptoms of arthritis.
- The amino acid glycine, found in bone broth. Glycine has been shown to promote sleep. Taking it before bed may improve the quality of sleep, mental function, and memory.
TIPS FOR MAKING BONE BROTH
- Instead of throwing out the leftover bones from meals, save them to make broth.
- Place the bones in a bag and store them in your freezer until you are ready to cook them.
- If you are not someone who usually eats whole turkeys or chickens and/or bone-in meats, you can ask for bones at your local butcher or farmers market. The meat department at most grocery stores will often have them too.
- The best part is they are usually very inexpensive to purchase. Your butcher may even give them to you for free.
- Do your best to find pastured chicken or grass-fed beef bones, since these animals will be the healthiest and provide maximum health benefits to you.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS TURKEY BONE BROTH
- Turkey bones
- Garlic, peeled
- Fresh herbs
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black peppercorns
EASY INSTANT POT BONE BROTH CHECKLIST
- 2 pounds beef bones (oxtail, marrow bones, or short ribs), or 3 pounds poultry bones (at least 1 pound wings).
- 2 cups veggies (carrot, onion, leek, celery, garlic, etc.)
- A handful of herbs fresh (parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or white wine vinegar
- Peppercorns and sea salt
In order to make the most nutritious broth, it is best to use a variety of bones (marrow bones, oxtail, knuckles, etc).
Homemade Turkey Bone Broth (or Chicken)
- Bones from leftover turkey (approx 2 pounds), skin, and most meat removed.
- 1 leek, chopped and rinsed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- A handful of fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8 cups water (enough water to come to 1-inch below MAX fill line)
- Place all of the ingredients into the Instant Pot. Cover and make sure the vent is set to seal.
- Press the “manual” button and set your Instant Pot for high pressure for 120 minutes.
- Once the two hours are up, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Strain the broth through cheesecloth or a strainer and cool. When thoroughly cool, remove any fat with a spoon and discard it.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Did you make this recipe?