This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Low Carb Shepherd's Pie Soup takes classic comfort food and turns it into a hearty, flavorful low carb soup the whole family will love!
MORE KETO & LOW CARB SOUP RECIPES
Keto Albondigas (Meatball) Soup | Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder
I know many people disagree about the difference between calling something Shepherds Pie. I make this soup with ground lamb or ground beef, depending on what I can find and the prices at the store.
But I decided to get right into that from the start so we can lay it to rest.
Shepherd’s Pie vs. Cottage Pie
When Shepherd’s Pie first originated, it was made with lamb. It has since evolved, especially in America, to include a variety of red meats (ground beef in particular). Per Wikipedia:
“Shepherd’s pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin. The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are ground red meat cooked in a gravy, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked”
So the only thing this doesn't have is the potato, but potatoes are so overrated, right?
I will say in all honesty that my husband was quite skeptical about this recipe when I told him what I was making.
I don't know why he questions me, he has only ever disliked one recipe enough to say he didn't ever want it again.
Silly hubby! He loved it. He kept saying over and over again, "This is really really good".
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE LOW CARB SHEPHERDS PIE SOUP
- Pink sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Ground lamb or grass-fed ground beef
- Organic onion powder
- Organic garlic powder
- Heavy whipping cream
- Beef bone broth
- Sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Ground sage
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Frozen peas and carrots (can omit if strict keto)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB SHEPHERDS PIE SOUP
Add in the bone broth, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, ground sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine well.
Remove from heat and add the shredded cheese and stir until combined.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
FAQS ABOUT LOW CARB SHEPHERDS PIE SOUP
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. This soup does freeze and reheat well.
Last thoughts about Low Carb Shepherds Pie Soup
Why you should make this recipe:
- EASY: Made with simple ingredients and ready in 40 minutes, this shepherd’s pie soup has become my go-to for busy winter weeknights.
- COMFORTING: It’s everything you love about traditional shepherd’s pie in soup form. It is pure comfort in a bowl!
- PLENTY OF LEFTOVERS: This recipe makes a big batch so you can enjoy leftovers for days or freeze servings for later!
- Shred the cheese from a block so that it melts well. Bagged shredded cheese contains cellulose or starch which prevents it from clumping, but also prevents it from melting well (and adds carbs).
- Make sure the soup isn’t too hot when you add the cheese. Otherwise, the fat from the cheese will separate and you’ll get a grainy consistency.
(Amazon affiliate links)- Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
This is the immersion blender I use for SO many soups and sauces, it makes it really easy to blend right in the pot without having to transfer a hot liquid to a blender.
This dutch oven is perfect for making this soup.
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana
- Keto Herbed Chicken and Dumplings
- Homemade Condensed Cream Of Soup Recipe
- Easy Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- Keto Pork Pozole Verde (Slow Cooker and Instant Pot)
Low Carb Shepherds Pie Soup
- 1 potato masher
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb can sub ground beef
- 1 tablespoon organic onion powder
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 20 ounces frozen peas and carrots (can omit if strict keto)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped for garnish (optional)
- Remove the leaves and core from the cauliflower and chop.
- Place the chopped cauliflower into a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Cover with water and add salt (you want it ocean salty). Bring to a boil.
- Boil until the cauliflower is fork-tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder.
- Cook the ground beef until no pink remains. Set aside.
- Drain the cauliflower and return it to the pot.
- Add the heavy whipping cream to the pot and mash with a potato masher (if chunks are desired) or puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add in the bone broth, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, ground sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine well.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the ground beef and frozen vegetables and allow them to heat through - about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the shredded cheese and stir until combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top with fresh parsley if desired.
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
making today need measurements
I am so sorry! I am having issues with my recipe card. I will fix that right now!!