Creamy Tomato Soup – This soup is perfect for everyone. It is easy to make, high in protein, dairy free, vegan, and gluten-free. All of the good stuff with none of the bad.
Welcome to soup weather here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
When I got up today it was 56 in my house I am soooo glad they are coming to fix our furnace tomorrow (aahhh the joys of older homes). Our forecasts have been hovering in the 60’s, but it has been taking its sweet time getting there. My outdoor thermometer stayed at 52 for what seemed like forever yesterday.
Anywho, I am sure y’all are wondering what is up with the whole dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan dealio here right?
A) I love soup
B) I have had some peeps ask for dairy-free and gluten-free creamy soups/recipes.
C) The vegan thing was just a plus and, even though I am obviously not vegan, it is nice to have a few recipes that my vegan brothers and sisters can enjoy
D) I love soup
As you can see by the photos above my secret weapon is beans.
Oh, I love beans too
I used beans in my Creamy Asparagus Soup and the whole family could literally not stop eating it! It was better than any other asparagus soup I had ever had, and they all seemed to agree. Which of course made me a happy camper.
On a serious note, cream of tomato soup is a major deal to me. It is hands down one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. Gimme a grilled cheese and a bowl of piping hot cream of tomato soup and I am one happy chick.
But it has to be cream of tomato, none of this plain ol’ tomato stuff. I wanna be able to dip that grilled cheese in and have it come back coated with creamy tomato goodness mmm mmmm good!
Uh oh, that must have been a flashback to the good old days and Mom busting out a can of condensed soup gloopiness.
But oh how I loved that gloopiness!
This version is 100% gloop-free but full to the brim with tasty tomato goodness.
The white beans give it that silky/creamy feel and thickens it up to the perfect dipping consistency.
Pardon me while I drool a bit thinking about it
You, of course, can blend it to whatever level of creaminess you desire. If you like it on the chunkier side, just give it a few pulses with the blender. Or, be like me, and blend the crap out of it!
Also, if you can’t find tasty fresh tomatoes, you can grab some canned fire roasted tomatoes. They give it a nice smoky flavor, which is a great addition to the party.
So, if you are craving some cream of tomato soup, jump on the dairy-free train with me and whip a batch, or 3, of this up tonight.
I will let you in on a secret. I currently have about 3 batches of this soup in my freezer. I freeze it in quart zipper top bags, in one serving portions so I can enjoy my addiction passion any time the mood strikes me…..and trust me, it strikes me a LOT!
Creamy Tomato Soup (Dairy Free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped * See Cook’s Notes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock *
- Kosher salt
- 2 (15-ounce.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped *
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, and onion.
- Cook about 5 minutes, then stir in the tomato paste, allowing it to cook for a minute or two to let the tomato flavor develope, then add the stock, salt, beans, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking for about 15 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Using an immersion blender; process until smooth. *
- Serve topped with chili flakes and thyme leaves.
- If you don’t have fresh thyme you can sub 1 teaspoon of dried. make sure to crush the leaves in your palm to release the some of the oils that are left in them.
- If you are not making the soup vegan, you can use chicken stock.
- You can substitute 3 (15-ounce) cans of fire roasted tomatoes.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can blend the soup, in small batches, in a regular blender.
Creamy Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
Do You Shop Amazon?
Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let’s stay connected!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.