This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Low Carb Instant Pot Pork Stew recipe is a keto-friendly twist on the classic beef stew that we all know and love.
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
I guess it might seem that I am a tad obsessed with pork lately.
Not really, I just love food!
I mean I do loves me some porky goodness, don't get me wrong. And when they have pork shoulder roasts on sale I will go a bit hog wild.
OK, bad joke I know, but I couldn't help myself!
But seriously, they had a sale so I figured let's work with this. I had a recipe that was really popular before I went low carb, but it used an entire bottle of white wine and potatoes.
I decided to go from there and that is where this recipe was born.
We were all pleasantly surprised by this. I mean Kevin and I are both loving the turnip swap for potatoes, and the one cup of white wine really does give it enough of that white wine flavor.
If you are not into using wine in your recipes feel free to just use another cup of bone broth in place of the white wine and it is just as good!
Here are the simple ingredients needed to make Low Carb Instant Pot Pork Stew.
- Olive oil
- Pork shoulder roast
- Carrots (strict keto can omit)
- Turnips, (choose medium to smaller ones) peeled and chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Organic garlic powder
- Organic onion powder
- White wine
- Chicken bone broth (homemade or storebought)
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Bay leaf
- Xanthan gum
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
This is a basic breakdown of the steps involved in making Low Carb Instant Pot Pork Stew. You will find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Place 1/3 of the pork in the Instant Pot on the sear setting. Let the pork sear on all sides until no pink shows. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Repeat with another 1/3 of the pork (add more oil if needed), and then the final 1/3.
Return all of the pork to the pot, add the remaining ingredients except for the xanthan gum and parsley. Stir to combine.
Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
Set the Instant Pot to saute and whisk in the xanthan gum. Continue to stir until the stew begins to thicken.
Aside from measuring cups and spoons, a chef's knife, spoon, etc, the only equipment needed is a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I use these containers and freeze this for 4 to 6 months.
When you cut up the roast make sure to keep that luscious marbling in there! I don't mean keep a big ol' hunk o' fat. I cut those out and save them for the doggos. But when it is really nicely marbled in there the Instant Pot cooks that out into the broth and makes it oh-so rich and yummy!
FAQ about Low Carb Instant Por Pork Stew
I specifically designed this recipe with pork in mind but if you are not a huge pork fan, I would think that chicken thighs could be used in place of the pork shoulder roast.
If you are looking for a keto Instant Pot beef stew recipe give this one a try.
The xanthan gum is used as a thickener like most regular stew recipes would use a corn starch slurry to thicken them. If you would prefer to not use the xanthan gum you could omit it, just know the end result would be more of a thin broth vs a stew.
More Keto & Low Carb Soup/Stew Recipes
Low Carb Instant Pot Pork Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs pork shoulder roast cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced (can omit for strict keto)
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 lb turnips (choose medium to smaller ones) peeled and chopped
- pink salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp organic garlic powder
- 1 tbsp organic onion powder
- 1 cup dry white wine *See notes
- 6 cups chicken bone broth can use store bought
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 organic bay leaves
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Pat the pork dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the Instant Pot on saute.
- Place 1/3 of the pork in the Instant Pot on the sear setting. Let the pork sear on all sides until no pink shows. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and place a bowl. Repeat with another 1/3 of the pork (add more oil if needed), and then the final 1/3
- Return all of the pork to the pot, add the remaining ingredients except for the xanthan gum and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and steam valve on the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and whisk in the xanthan gum. Continue to stir until the stew begins to thicken.
- Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed and stir in chopped parsley.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.