This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Simple Salisbury Steak recipe turns that classic TV dinner into something you can be proud to serve your family
But seriously, when I was a kid I actually loved them. They were one of my favorite TV dinners, and believe me we ate a LOT of TV dinners!
But this kinda left me accustomed to "meat" that really wasn't meat if you know what I mean.
What is that stuff anyway??
Many years later, after I was grown, married, and had kids of my own I got the bright idea to pick up some Salisbury Steak TV dinners.
Hey, we were living on a military salary, and they were on sale.
I just remembered that I had loved them so much I figured this was a huge win.
Then I made them.
Ummm how in the heck did I ever love these things?! Ewwwww
I don't even think the kids finished their meal, and the rest of the dinners promptly ended up in the trash.
I was never tempted to buy them again!
Simple Salisbury Steaks with Caramelized Onion Gravy
- 1 1/2 pounds Certified Angus Beef® brand ground beef
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans beef consomme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- Garnish with chopped parsley
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well and shape the meat mixture into four oval patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for about a minute, then add the olive oil. Place the meat patties in the skillet and cook them for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they’re well-browned. Remove the patties from the skillet, cover with foil, and set them aside.
- Add the chopped onions to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and whisk for a minute or two. Gradually stir in the beef consomme and thyme and raise the heat back to medium.
- Add the patties back to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook the for 10 to 15 more minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 for medium-rare or 160 for medium.
- Taste the gravy and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve topped with gravy.
Do You Shop Amazon?
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.