This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Low Carb Italian Beef Bake recipe is gluten-free, keto-friendly, rich, and creamy, with delicious Italian flavors. It is so easy to make it will quickly become a weeknight meal favorite!
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
I don't know about you but I could use some tasty comfort food like this Low Carb Italian Beef Bake right now.
We had a few amazing days of the high 70s but now are back to 60 and raining.
It has been driving the puppers crazy because they had those few days of being able to stay outside for just about the whole day only to be stuck inside on the sofa staring out the window at the rain falling.
My Snapchat has been full of a lot of pouty puppy pictures. Interspersed with a few snaps of me nomming on a huge plateful of this Low Carb Italian Beef Bake.
Then today I woke up with one heck of a sore throat.
I went over to visit the kids and the G-baby Sunday and they were all fighting off some kind of crud. I crossed my fingers because I have been pretty lucky this year about NOT getting sick.
No such luck this time.
This morning I have the whole headache/sore throat/yucky sinus party going on.
I had grocery shopping, cooking, photos, and the whole shebang planned for the next couple of days but I think it is going to be more like tea, kleenex, and Nyquil on the schedule now.
Luckily my tummy isn't involved in this whole situation so comfort food like this Low-Carb Italian Beef Bake is still on the menu for lunch.
If you are looking for an easy, delicious, low-carb beef recipe to add to your rotation you need to add this one right now!
It gives you all the feels of a casserole/spaghetti/lasagna all rolled into one yummy keto-friendly dish.
As you can see from the photos, the hardest part about this dish is layering everything.
Seriously, that is it.
Look at that yummy plate of food right there.
It literally makes me hungry every time I look at these photos!
I will admit that I have gotten a little bit obsessed with this recipe and we have had it just about every week for a month.
Poor Kevin, that is the life of a food blogger's husband!!
But hey, at least he gets good food, right?
These are the ingredients necessary to make Low Carb Italian Beef Bake.
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice - I use Birdseye Savory Herb Frozen Cauliflower Rice in this recipe because it is quick and easy. But, if you prefer to make your own you can make my garlic and herb cauliflower rice.
- Ricotta Cheese - Make sure you are using full-fat ricotta cheese in this recipe. Low-fat ricotta is higher in carbs.
- Italian Seasoning - This recipe uses my homemade Italian seasoning blend. If you choose to use a store-bought brand you may need more or less depending on the brand.
- Parmesan Cheese - Please use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for this recipe, it makes a big difference.
- Ground Beef - I use 80/20 grass-fed ground beef.
- Tomato Sauce - If you cannot find sugar-free (no sugar added) tomato sauce feel free to substitute crushed tomatoes.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Make sure to use whole milk mozzarella and grate the cheese yourself. The pre-shredded is easier but it contains additives to keep the cheese from clumping that can add carbs.
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
This is a basic breakdown of the steps involved in making Low Carb Italian Beef Bake. You will find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Spread the cauliflower rice mixture into the bottom of a 3-quart (13 x 9) casserole dish.
Pour half of the beef mixture over the cauliflower rice mixture. Spread with the back of a spoon to even. Top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Repeat with the remaining beef mixture.
Add the remaining mozzarella cheese and then sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and a bit of Italian seasoning.
Hint: if you like the top browned a bit you can place the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Ground Beef - instead of ground beef you can use ground chicken, turkey, pork, etc. Whatever you prefer. Use plant-based ground meat to make this vegetarian.
- Ricotta Cheese - can use cottage cheese, cream cheese, or mascarpone as a substitute for ricotta cheese.
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice - I used herbed frozen cauli rice to make the recipe easier but you can use fresh cauliflower rice if you prefer. My garlic and herb cauliflower rice would be a good substitute.
- Spicy - add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Mexican - omit the Italian seasoning, sub grated cotija cheese for the parmesan, cook the ground beef with 3 tbsp of my Mexican seasoning blend, omit the garlic powder and crushed red pepper, sub your favorite salsa for the tomato sauce, and use Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or a Mexican blend as the cheese instead of the mozzarella.
- Chicken Alfredo - substitute ground chicken for ground beef and substitute Alfredo sauce for tomato sauce.
This is the equipment you will need to make Low Carb Italian Beef Bake:
Store any leftover Low Carb Italian Beef Bake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
This beef bake can be frozen for up to 3 months.
FAQ about Low Carb Italian Beef Bake
Absolutely! I use it as a meal prep recipe all of the time. Just make sure to assemble it in a freezer-safe/oven-safe dish. Use the lid provided or cover with foil and freeze. When ready to make the casserole place it in the refrigerator the night before. Set it out on the counter for an hour or two if possible before you place it in the oven and cook per recipe instructions.
I have not used ground chicken but I have used my keto Italian sausage instead of ground beef. I have also done a mix of the beef with the sausage. I am sure ground chicken would work fine though.
If stored in an airtight container it should last for up to 4 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
More Keto & Low Carb Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Deluxe Cheeseburger Kabobs
- Slow Cooker Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Meatballs
- Easy Keto Korean Ground Beef Bowls
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet
Low Carb Italian Beef Bake (Keto Beef Casserole)
- 20 ounces riced cauliflower (I used Birdseye Savory Herb Frozen Cauliflower Rice)
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup Fresh grated Parmesan cheese divided
- pink salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp organic garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 15-ounce can no sugar added tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces (2 cups) whole milk mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Steam the cauliflower rice in the microwave per package directions, set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cooled cauliflower rice.
- Spread the cauliflower rice mixture into the bottom of a 3 quart (9 x 13) casserole dish.
- In a large skillet or pot, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat until browned, add the garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and tomato sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour half of the beef mixture over the cauliflower rice mixture. Spread with the back of a spoon to even. Top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining beef mixture and mozzarella cheese,
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and a bit of the Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.