Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
MORE KETO AND LOW CARB SAUCE RECIPES
MORE LOW CARB AND KETO SAUCE RECIPES
Authentic Homemade Red Chile Enchilada Sauce (Low Carb and Gluten-free)
- 4 ounces dried New Mexico or California red chiles, stems and seeds removed * See Notes
- 2 cups chicken bone broth (or water) *See Notes
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Place dried chiles in a large pot of water, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, and place a plate or bowl on top to make sure the chiles stay submerged in the hot water. Allow the chiles to steep for 30 minutes.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and place them in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Process until very smooth.
- Pass the sauce through a strainer or double layers of cheesecloth to remove the skins of the chile. Use a rubber spatula (or your hand) to press it well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Use immediately or place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freeze it.
You can use dried New Mexico or California chiles, or a mix of both. California chiles are just a tad milder than the New Mexico chiles.
Water is traditional in this recipe but I like to use chicken bone broth to add a lit more flavor. You can, of course, just use water or you could use vegetable stock. Just remember, if you use vegetable stock, the carb count will change.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.