This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Baked Green Chili Chicken recipe is an easy and delicious low carb and keto-friendly dinner filled with spice, cheese, and a creamy green chili sauce.
I hope this post is finding you all safe and healthy.
I know this time is tough on us all and, when I am feeling down, I go into full-on "I wanna cook all the foods" mode.
Mexican, cheesy, creamy, those are ALL my comfort food places.
Things like Mexican Cauliflower Rice, Easy Low Carb Beef Enchiladas, and Low Carb Texas Trash Dip are happening on just about the weekly around here.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BAKED GREEN CHILE CHICKEN
- Poblano peppers
- Chicken bone broth
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Mexican Seasoning Blend
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
BAKED GREEN CHILE CHICKEN FAQ
Can I substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts? Absolutely! I use 8 chicken thighs in place of the 4 chicken breasts. Just make sure the finished internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
What if I can't find poblano peppers? You can sub Anaheim chiles. They have a slightly sweeter flavor than the poblano, so know that going in. You may need to pull back (only a bit) on the amounts used to make sure the sweetness or the heat difference doesn’t impact the overall taste.
Or, try using 1 1/2 to 2 cups of my favorite jarred salsa Herdez Roasted Salsa Verde.
Can I use a different cheese? Yes, you can use pepper jack, cheddar, whatever cheese your family prefers.
Can I freeze this? Yes, I have used this in meal prep a LOT! Just freeze it in an oven-safe container with a lid, or tightly covered with foil. Take it out and place it in the fridge a day or two before you want to bake it. I have also frozen the leftover sauce and used it on veggies to stretch my budget even further!
This sauce also works wonderfully with pork.
My preferred cut to bake is the tenderloin. It cooks quickly and is super tender.
Now that trichinosis has been eradicated here in the US, I bake mine to about 125/130 degrees F and then tent it when it comes out of the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. It makes a wonderful medium-rare tenderloin.
If you prefer your pork with no pink just cook it to an internal temp of 145 degrees.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH THIS BAKED GREEN CHILE CHICKEN?
For people with allergies Avocado Free Guacamole
Low-Carb Spicy Mexican Slaw with Lime and Cilantro
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
MORE DELICIOUS LOW CARB RECIPE IDEAS
Grilled Mexican Style Surf and Turf
Creamy Keto Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Crock-Pot Low Carb Keto Taco Casserole
Baked Green Chile Chicken
- 4 poblano peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup of chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Seasoning Blend
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
How to cook Baked Green Chile Chicken
- In a blender or food processor, combine peppers with bone broth, onion powder, garlic powder, Mexican seasoning blend, salt, and pepper; purée.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a saucepot over medium heat, add the heavy cream and cream cheese whisking occasionally until the cream cheese melts and combines smoothly with the heavy cream. Whisk in the pepper puree and bring to a simmer. Allow the sauce to cook until it begins to thick, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half of the shredded cheese.
- While the sauce is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and brown 3 to 4 minutes on each side then transfer to a casserole dish. Pour poblano sauce over the top, cover with the remaining cheese and bake 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of chicken breasts (internal temp should be 165 degrees F).
Did you make this recipe?
I am confused about the ingredient list vs.the instructions. They don't sync up. Step #2 of the instructions talks about butter, flour, milk and yogurt but none of these are listed in the ingredients. There is no mention of what to do with the heavy cream or the cream cheese listed in the ingredients either. Please clarify. Thank you!
Please forgive! I updated this recipe from an old recipe that wasn't keto and missed the issue. It has been corrected now. I Hope you enjoy!