This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
Indulge in the simplicity and incredible flavors of these Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos. Perfect for busy nights, this low carb keto-friendly recipe will please the whole family. Discover the joy of a one-pot meal that practically make itself!
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
¡Hola, mis amigos! Get ready to elevate your taco game with an unbelievably easy and mouthwatering recipe: Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos. This dish is a lifesaver for those busy nights when you simply don't have time to cook a lavish meal for the whole family. And here's a bonus: it's low carb/keto-friendly!
I absolutely adore one-pot meals that effortlessly come together, and this recipe fits the bill perfectly. Once you've chopped your choice of toppings (all optional, of course), the slow cooker does the rest of the work. It's a recipe so effortless, you could practically make it in your sleep. Or better yet, while sipping your morning coffee, preparing breakfast, and packing lunches for the day ahead.
Seriously, it's that darn easy!
I must admit, I have a huge soft spot for these types of recipes. In fact, I've been toying with the idea of creating a cookbook dedicated solely to one-pot/one-pan wonders. Picture it: a collection of recipes that span the realms of pots, pans, skillets, slow cookers, and pressure cookers.
But enough about my cookbook dreams! Let's dive into this incredible slow cooker green chile chicken tacos recipe. OhhEmmmGeeee, people! Prepare to be blown away by its simplicity and wicked good taste. It's the perfect combo that'll have you reaching for seconds.
The best part? This recipe is incredibly versatile, allowing you to tailor it to your family's taste preferences. Whether you prefer a mild or fiery salsa or mild to hot green chiles, you can easily customize the heat level to your liking.
As for toppings? We love piling everything but the kitchen sink onto our tacos. However, if you have picky eaters or simply want to skip the chopping, these tacos are equally delightful with a sprinkle of cheese and some crisp lettuce. Perhaps even a few slices or dices of avocado? Ah, avocado—how I envy those who can enjoy its creamy goodness. I developed an allergy a couple of years ago, but please, feel free to enjoy it on my behalf!
For the ultimate flavor experience, I recommend serving these Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos with a side of my Mexican Cauliflower Rice. Trust me; it's a match made in taco heaven.
So, let's embark on this culinary adventure together. Whip out your slow cooker, gather the ingredients, and get ready to savor every single bite of these easy, creamy, and oh-so-delicious slow cooker green chile chicken tacos. Your taste buds—and your busy schedule—will thank you!
- 🥘Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos Ingredients
- 🔪Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos Instructions
- 💭Top tip
- FAQ about Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Related Recipes
- Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos
- Food safety
🥘Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos Ingredients
These are the ingredients necessary to make Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos.
For the Tacos
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salsa verde
- Diced green chiles
- Sour cream
- Pink salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Low carb tortillas
- Chopped white onion
- Chopped tomato
- Sliced jalapeno
- Sliced radish
- Queso fresco cheese crumbled (can substitute mild feta or goat cheese)
- Chopped cilantro
A detailed list with measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
🔪Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos Instructions
This is a basic breakdown of the steps involved in making Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos. You will find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Hint: To save time and add an extra layer of flavor, consider preparing the slow cooker green chile chicken mixture the night before. Simply combine the chicken breasts, salsa verde, diced green chiles, pink salt, and cracked black pepper in the slow cooker insert, cover, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, all you need to do is set it to cook, and by dinnertime, your creamy and delicious taco filling will be ready to be enjoyed!
- Pork Alternative - Instead of using chicken breasts, you can substitute them with boneless pork shoulder or pork tenderloin. The pork will become tender and flavorful as it cooks in the slow cooker, creating a succulent and delicious taco filling.
- Ground Meat Swap - Another option is to use ground chicken or ground turkey as a leaner alternative. Brown the ground meat in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker with the salsa verde and diced green chiles. Allow the flavors to meld together during the slow cooking process, resulting in a flavorful and versatile filling.
- Cauliflower Substitute - For a vegetarian low-carb option, replace the chicken with cauliflower florets. Toss the cauliflower in the salsa verde and diced green chiles, season with pink salt and cracked black pepper, and cook it in the slow cooker until tender. The cauliflower will absorb the flavors and provide a satisfying vegetable-based taco filling.
- Smoky Chipotle Twist - For a smokier and spicier flavor profile, add a couple of finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the slow cooker along with the salsa verde and diced green chiles. The chipotle peppers will infuse the dish with a distinctive smokiness and a hint of heat, elevating the overall taste of the tacos.
- Cheesy Sensation - Take the creaminess up a notch by incorporating a shredded cheese blend into the slow cooker during the final stages of cooking. Stir in a generous amount of your favorite melting cheese, such as Monterey Jack or cheddar, to create a luscious and cheesy green chile chicken mixture. The melted cheese will envelop the shredded chicken, adding richness and a gooey texture to the tacos.
- Fresh Herb Infusion - Elevate the flavor profile by incorporating fresh herbs like chopped cilantro or minced garlic to the slow cooker. Adding these aromatic herbs during the cooking process will impart a burst of freshness and enhance the overall taste of the tacos.
This is the equipment you will need to make Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos.
In the Fridge:
- Allow the shredded chicken to cool down to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Transfer the leftover chicken to an airtight container or sealable plastic bag.
- Ensure that the container or bag is tightly sealed to prevent any air from entering.
- Label the container with the date for reference.
- Place the container in the refrigerator and store for up to 3-4 days.
In the Freezer:
- Allow the shredded chicken to cool down to room temperature before freezing.
- Portion the leftover chicken into smaller airtight containers or freezer bags, based on your desired serving sizes.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible from the bags or containers before sealing them.
- Label each container or bag with the date and portion size.
- Place the containers or bags in the freezer and store for up to 2-3 months.
- Thaw frozen chicken in the refrigerator overnight before reheating or using it in recipes.
By following these simple steps, you can store your leftover Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos shredded chicken safely and ensure its quality for future use.
Looking to make this recipe even more keto-friendly? Swap out the traditional low carb tortillas for crisp and refreshing lettuce wraps. The crisp lettuce leaves provide a satisfying crunch while keeping the meal low in carbs. Serve your creamy green chile chicken mixture in the lettuce wraps, add your favorite toppings, and wrap it up for a delightful and guilt-free taco experience.
FAQ about Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos
Absolutely! While salsa verde adds a tangy and slightly spicy flavor, you can use your favorite salsa variety such as red salsa or chipotle salsa to customize the taste according to your preference.
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Cook the chicken and other ingredients on high pressure for 20 minutes, then follow the instructions for shredding and adding the sour cream.
To reheat the leftover chicken, place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until heated through. You can also reheat it on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until warmed.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Keto Pork Carnitas
- Keto Pork Pozole Verde
- Crock Pot Keto Taco Casserole
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna Casserole
These are my favorite dishes to serve with Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos:
- Low Carb Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Salsa and Keto Chips
- Mexican Roasted Vegetables
- Mexican Fruit Salad
Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos
For the Tacos
- low carb tortillas
- chopped white onion
- chopped tomato
- sliced jalapeno
- sliced radish
- queso fresco cheese crumbled (can substitute mild feta or goat cheese)
- chopped cilantro
- Place the chicken breasts, salsa verde, diced chiles, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Allow to cool a bit and then remove the chicken breasts and shred them.
- Remove all but 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker, and stir in the sour cream.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to completely coat it with the creamy green chile sauce. Replace the lid.
- Fill tortillas with the 1/2 cup of the green chile chicken, top with desired toppings.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.