This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Low Carb Taco Salad in a Jar is perfect for work, school, or just life on the go. Meal prep these mason jar taco salads for a delicious lunch or light dinner that is ready whenever hunger strikes.
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
MORE KETO & LOW CARB SALAD RECIPES
Is Taco Salad Keto?
If you are talking about the traditional taco salad with refried beans in a deep-fried tortilla bowl, sadly no.
And I mean that sadly with my whole heart because that was one of my all-time favorite salads before I went low carb.
A Taco Salad (with Fried 12-inch Flour Tortilla Bowl) has around 72 carbs vs this salad which has 8 and even less if you omit the black beans.
But it tastes sooooo good right? I can hear you saying that because that is what I would say, over and over again.
I missed my taco salad, I wanted my taco salad, and I was determined that nothing was going to taste as good as my old favorite.
Even though I was sure nothing would ever compare, I worked on recipes, many recipes. But I just couldn't get it to taste right to me.
I also found some keto taco-flavored tortilla chips that were a huge game-changer!
Then I had the debate.
Beans, or no beans, that was the question.
I finally decided to include black beans but you can omit them if you are strict keto.
All in all, this recipe really brings the flavors I was looking for and, with the keto chips, you get that little crunch experience that you crave too.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE TACO SALAD IN A JAR
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- homemade ranch dressing
- homemade salsa fresca
- avocado or olive oil
- ground beef
- Mexican seasoning blend
- Roma tomatoes
- green onions
- black beans
- pickled jalapenos
- lime juice
- cheddar cheese
- romaine lettuce
- keto taco flavored tortilla chips
HOW TO MAKE TACO SALAD IN A JAR
Please see the recipe card below for the complete recipe, including measurements and cooking time!
In a small bowl, whisk together the ranch dressing and salsa, and set aside.
Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the meat chopper.
Add the Mexican seasoning if using and cook, stirring occasionally until no pink remains (about 8 to 10 minutes). *See Notes
Set meat aside and allow it to cool.
Divide the sauce equally among the 4 mason jars.
Equally, add the cooked ground beef, then top with chopped tomatoes, green onions, pickled jalapeno, black beans, avocado, cheese, and lettuce. Place the lids on the jars and refrigerate.
To eat, dump the salad out into a bowl, and stir to combine. Top with crushed tortilla chips if using.
FAQS ABOUT TACO SALAD IN A JAR
Can I use ground chicken in this recipe instead of ground beef?
Absolutely! The macros will change but you can use whatever ground meat you prefer.
How long will this Taco Salad in a Jar last in the fridge?
This salad will keep for up to 5 days.
Last thoughts about this recipe
This salad-in-a-jar recipe was the one that won my husband over and sold him on my meal prep lunch ideas.
He had been Mr. Skeptical all along. I told him how good it was and he just poo-pooed it and acted like he wasn't interested.
Sometimes he hs such a dude!
But I crammed a bite into his mouth one day and I saw the light go on in his eyes. After he chewed and swallowed he asked me if I had another jar in the fridge!
This was also the meal prep gateway recipe that got him to try my Spicy Chicken Ramen in a Jar recipe and he fell in love with that one too.
Before he retired he had people at work asking me to send them a jar of ramen for lunch along with his!
MORE KETO AND LOW CARB SALAD RECIPE IDEAS
- Keto Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad
- Loaded Broccoli Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Keto Cobb Salad
- Keto Wedge Salad
- Keto Chinese Chicken Salad
Taco Salad in a Jar (Low Carb)
For the salad
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Mexican seasoning blend or a packet of store bought taco seasoning
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed (omit for keto)
- 2 avocados chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce chopped
- keto taco flavored chips (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ranch dressing and salsa, set aside.
- Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the meat chopper.
- Add the Mexican seasoning if using and cook, stirring occasionally until no pink remains (about 8 to 10 minutes). *See Notes
- Set meat aside and allow it to cool.
- Divide the sauce equally among the 4 mason jars.
- Equally, add the cooked ground beef, then top with chopped tomatoes, green onions, pickled jalapeno, black beans, avocado, cheese, and lettuce.
- Place the lids on the jars and refrigerate.
- To eat, dump the salad out into a bowl, stir to combine.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips if using.
- If using store-bought taco seasoning cook to package instructions.
- The salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.