This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
Yup, Mr. I can grill and boil hot dogs (plus occasionally fry chicken), but that is about it, had to step in and take over because I had a big ol' attack of vertigo. So he made this gorgeous tenderloin roast by using the roast perfect app.
For great beef recipes and cooking tips, visit CertifiedAngusBeef.com, and take a look at their Roast Perfect pinterest board.
Herbed Beef Tenderloin with Port Wine and Cranberry Sauce
- 2 1/2 pound beef tenderloin roast
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt* (see Cook's notes)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper* (see Cook's notes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tawny port wine
- 2 dried chiles de arbol or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups beef stock + more if needed
- 1 cup dried cranberries (for keto use these sugar-free dried cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Combine all of the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Pat the roast dry with paper towels, then rub the entire roast with the herb rub, making sure to get every part coated well. Set the roast on a cutting board and allow to come to room temperature (about an hour).
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the roast on the roasting rack in a roasting pan. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 and continue to roast for approx 30 minutes or it reaches an internal temp of 125 to 130 on a thermometer for medium rare (times and temps for other doneness levels are in the app).
- Remove from the oven and tent with foil. Allow the roast to rest at least 15 minutes before carving.
Meanwhile to make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the port and dried chiles (or chili flakes), turn the heat up to medium and boil gently until the mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes. Add the stock and the cranberries, bring to a gentle boil and cook until reduced to about 2 cups, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the solids out of the sauce. Return the sauce to the pot, and the pot to the heat. Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and simmer, whisking, for a minute. If your sauce gets too thick, add a little stock. Add the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in the butter until incorporated.
- Serve sauce hot with sliced roast.
Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make That Perfect Holiday Roast
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This post originally appeared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen November 2015
Life Tastes Good
Looks fantastic, Bobbi! That sauce is calling my name!!
Not a single drop of that sauce would be left. I'd be pouring it thick on the roast and using bread to dip up every bit of it. Yum! Lovely roast too.
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake
This is one incredible roast! Kevin for the win!!!
Really lovely Bobbi!! Tenderloin is my favorite roast!!! So tender, like butter in your mouth! Love the sauce too!
This sounds so good with the port wine and cranberries
Your roast and that sauce look perfect!!
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Simply gorgeous, and I am loving the sauce!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
You're right...Christmas = beef! You made a PERFECT roast!
Oh my goodness, that generous ladeling of port wine sauce... I want some!
That just looks so divine. It looks succulent, flavorful and my mouth is watering just looking at the photos and I am not a huge red meat eater.
Life is Good
This sounds / looks SO delicious! I will have to try it made this way sometime soon.
Oh my goodness this looks amazing! I love roasts, this looks even better than prime rib at the restaurant i work at!
This looks amazing! I'm always looking for new recipes and this looks like one to try this month. Thank you!
This is a great and delicious recipe! The sauce is the perfect match, sounds so yummy!
OMG this look amazing!And I love the app that walks you through how cool is that no worries about cooking book. I am so gonna get it.
Wow this looks yummy and delicious.. Would love to try it.. It's perfect for Christmas