This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
Indulge in the best of both worlds with this Keto Cheeseburger Soup – creamy, comforting, and bursting with flavor. Perfect for chilly nights, this gluten-free, budget-friendly recipe is a hit with both keto and non-keto folks. Plus, it's kid-friendly, freezer-friendly, and topped with cheesy goodness. Discover a cozy bowl that brings the classic cheeseburger taste to your table!
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
🍔🌟Fall Comfort Food Vibes: Keto Cheeseburger Soup Recipe 🌟🍔
Fall is here, and I couldn't be more thrilled! It's that time of year when the leaves turn golden, the air gets crisp, and I get to indulge in my favorite comfort foods – soups, stews, chowders, and chilis. I've always had a soft spot for these cozy dishes that warm both the heart and the soul. And this year, I'm over the moon because I get to share with you a recipe that's been a game-changer in our household – Keto Cheeseburger Soup. 🥣❤️
Now, let me tell you, this soup isn't just any ordinary soup. It's a flavor-packed, creamy delight that captures the essence of a classic cheeseburger. And the best part? It's keto-friendly, gluten-free, and a massive hit with my grandkids. Yep, you read that right – it's a dish that checks all the boxes, and it won't break the bank! 💲👩🍳
Picture this: A pot of steaming hot soup, filled with all the savory goodness you'd expect from a cheeseburger, but without the carbs. It's like a warm hug from the inside out. And trust me when I say, every single person who's tried it has fallen head over heels in love with it. 😍🧀🍔
One of the things that makes this recipe so special is its simplicity. It's made with everyday ingredients that won't leave your wallet crying for mercy. Ground beef, bacon, cheese – these are items we all have in our kitchens. No spending a fortune on exotic ingredients. This soup is all about delicious, budget-friendly comfort. 💰🥓🧀
So, what's the deal with this Keto Cheeseburger Soup? Let me break it down for you: 🍲👇
Creamy and Comforting: When the fall chill sets in, there's nothing like a bowl of creamy soup to wrap you in warmth. This soup combines the comforting creaminess of a chowder with the heartiness of a cheeseburger. 🤗❤️🍲
Kid-Friendly: If you've got picky eaters at home, worry not. This soup has the magical power to turn even the fussiest of eaters into fan. My grandkids can't get enough of it, and I bet yours will love it too! 🙌👦👧
Freezer-Friendly: Cooking for just two? No problem. I always make a full batch, and whatever we don't finish, I freeze for another night. It reheats beautifully, so you can enjoy it whenever that cheeseburger craving strikes. ❄️🍽️🍲
Delicious Toppings: The toppings take this soup to a whole new level of awesome. Think dill pickles, red onions, extra shredded cheddar cheese, fresh parsley, diced tomatoes, and a drizzle of ranch dressing. It's like a cheeseburger in a bowl – with all your favorite fixings! 🍅🧀🥒🍲
So, there you have it – a keto-friendly, budget-conscious, kid-approved, freezer-friendly, and utterly delicious Keto Cheeseburger Soup recipe that's perfect for fall and beyond. Get ready to cozy up with a bowl of nostalgia and comfort. It's time to embrace those fall vibes, one spoonful at a time! 🥄🍂✨
🥘Keto Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
These are the ingredients necessary to make Keto Cheeseburger Soup.
- Ground Beef - I always grab a grass-fed 85/15 for this recipe.
- Turnips - look for small to medium-sized turnips. They aren't as fibrous, and they are sweeter.
- Cheese - Opt for block cheese and shred yourself to keep this soup as creamy as possible.
A detailed list with measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
🔪Keto Cheeseburger Soup Instructions
This is a basic breakdown of the steps involved in making Keto Cheeseburger Soup. You will find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Raise the heat to medium and add the onion, carrots, celery, parsley, and steak seasoning.
Push the vegetables to the side and add the ground beef to the center of the pot breaking it up with a meat chopper, or wooden spoon.
Add the chopped turnips and bone broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese, cook until cheese melts.
Helpful Hint: 💡: When adding the cheese to your soup, it's essential to do it over low heat and stir gently until it melts smoothly. High heat can cause the cheese to become grainy or separate, affecting the creamy texture of your soup. Patience is key when it comes to cheesy perfection!
- Ground Beef - Feel free to swap out the ground beef with ground turkey, ground chicken, ground pork, or even plant-based meat for a different flavor profile.
- Turnips - While turnips add a unique flavor and are keto-friendly, you can substitute them with cauliflower florets or rutabagas for a similar texture.
- Cheese - Experiment with different types of cheese to create new flavor combinations. Try sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or even a combination of cheeses for added depth.
- Spicy Kick - Add some diced jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce for a spicy twist. Garnish with crushed spicy pork rinds, chopped onion and tomato, sliced avocado, and some fresh cilantro.
- Swiss Mushroom Burger - Swap out the carrots for some sliced mushrooms and use shredded Swiss cheese for a delicious take on a mushroom Swiss burger!
- Vegetarian Option - If you're vegetarian, swap the ground meat for plant-based ground beef or crumbled tofu, and use vegetable broth instead of beef bone broth.
This is the equipment you will need to make Keto Cheeseburger Soup.
Storing leftovers properly is crucial to maintain the freshness and flavor of your Keto Cheeseburger Soup. Here's how you can advise your readers to store their leftover soup:
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature before storing it.
- Transfer the soup to an airtight container or individual portions if preferred.
- Seal the container(s) tightly to prevent air from getting in.
- Label the container with the date to help keep track of freshness.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To freeze leftover soup, ensure it has cooled to room temperature.
- Divide the soup into individual portions or store in a larger container.
- Leave some space at the top of the container to allow for expansion as the soup freezes.
- Seal the container(s) with an airtight lid or heavy-duty freezer bags.
- Label the container with the date and any reheating instructions.
- Freeze for up to 2-3 months for the best quality.
- When reheating refrigerated soup, simply heat it in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally until it's thoroughly warmed.
- If you're reheating frozen soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
- Reheat in a pot on the stove over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally until it's heated through.
- You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave, using short intervals and stirring between each interval to ensure even heating.
- Make sure the soup is piping hot before consuming it, especially when reheating.
- Do not refreeze soup that has been thawed unless it has been cooked again.
Since this soup freezes beautifully, consider making a double batch. Enjoy a comforting dinner tonight and freeze the rest in individual portions for those days when you need a quick and satisfying meal. It's a lifesaver for busy nights, and you'll thank yourself later!
FAQ about Keto Cheeseburger Soup
Absolutely! In fact, making this soup ahead of time often enhances its flavor. Store it in the refrigerator for a day or two, then reheat when you're ready to serve. The flavors meld together beautifully for an even tastier experience.
Certainly! Ground turkey is a fantastic alternative if you prefer a leaner option or just want to change things up. It works well with the other ingredients and still delivers that cheeseburger essence.
Yes, you can substitute heavy cream with unsweetened almond milk or another lower-calorie milk alternative if you're looking to reduce calories. While it won't be as creamy, it's a great way to make the soup lighter.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Keto Shepherd's Pie Soup
- Keto Condensed "Cream of" Soup
- Keto Chicken and Dumplings
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Keto French Onion Soup
These are my favorite dishes to serve with Keto Cheeseburger Soup:
- Keto French Fries
- Cauliflower Tots
- Keto Onion Rings
- Keto Wedge Salad
- Vegetable Salad
- Keto Garlic Knots
Keto Cheeseburger Soup
For the soup
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large carrot shredded (can omit for strict keto)
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped (can sub 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tbsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs turnips (small to medium-sized) cubed and peeled *See Notes
- 4 cup beef bone broth
- 12 ounces Colby Jack cheese shredded (can use regular or sharp cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella, whatever cheese you prefer) *See Notes
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For optional garnish
- dill pickles chopped
- red onion minced
- tomatoes diced
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Ranch dressing drizzled
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan, over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until the fat renders and the bacon is crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to reserve for later.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onion, carrots, celery, parsley, and steak seasoning.
- Saute until vegetables are tender, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the side and add the ground beef to the center of the pot breaking it up with a meat chopper, or wooden spoon.
- Cook until no pink remains, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped turnips and bone broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and continue to cook until the turnips are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum and whisk until the soup begins to thicken. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon if you prefer a thicker soup.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese, cook until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; stir in the sour cream.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve soup topped with the cooked bacon and whatever other garnish you prefer.
You want to use freshly shredded cheese in this because pre-shredded has a coating that prevents it from clumping in the bag but it also can make it grainy when it melts in things like this soup.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.