This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This hearty Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder recipe is full of delicious low carb veggies, is gluten-free, and is the perfect way to use up that leftover ham.
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Before you grab your keys and run off to the store to grab everything to make this amazing Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder, I wanted to give you a little insight into the testing process that goes on here before I share any of my recipes with y'all.
I have my first guinea pig eerrrr test subject, my hubs, Kevin.
He of course tastes everything first and gives me his honest opinion.
Then I have my second line of testers, Jessi aka my Mini-Me, her main squeeze Josh, and their mighty might Torin.
Jessi is giving plant-based eating a try in the new year but will always test my recipes to give me her opinion, Josh loves trying anything new, and Torin gives me his expert 3 yr old opinion on everything.
Next, we have Seth, my firstborn, baby boy, who will tell you straight up he loves food!
His gorgeous girlie Heather, who is keto like me, and their little, Kylee aka the G-baby.
She is 5 going on 25 and will tell Nana exactly what she thinks in no uncertain terms!
I love that little nugget!
My last line of testers is my photographer Jen and her family. They are not keto or low carb.
Every single one of these people loved this Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder recipe soooooo that is why this is the one I chose to kick off this month of keto soups for y'all.
Get ready for a month of yumminess!
This Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder uses just a few pantry staples, fresh veggies, and leftover ham or ham steak.
- Carrots (can omit for strict keto)
- Organic onion powder
- Chicken bone broth (homemade or storebought)
- Canned coconut milk
- Organic bay leaves
- Pink sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
This is a basic breakdown of the steps involved in making Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder. You will find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, garlic, and onion powder and cook until about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken bone broth and the heavy cream, then add the turnips and bay leaves then season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the turnips are fork-tender.
Stir in broccoli, and ham, and cook 5 minutes longer or until broccoli is tender, and ham is warmed through.
Remove from heat. Discard the bay leaves and slowly add the cheese to the soup, whisking until melted.
The only special equipment that I would recommend for this recipe is a good 6-quart Dutch oven like this.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Now when it comes to freezing dairy-based soups there are two camps. This is one of the reasons that I switched from using heavy whipping cream in this recipe to coconut milk. But I have frozen this soup using heavy whipping cream as well. For more info on freezing cream-based soup check this out.
FAQ about Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder
You can use any smoked ham in this recipe, just stay away from any "honey" or "maple" hams as they have added sugar so of course, that will mean carbs. In a pinch, you can buy a prechopped ham at the grocery store, ham steaks, or even a small ham that you can bake.
Could I use chicken instead of ham in this recipe?
Sure, I would just use chopped, cooked, chicken thighs and you will probably have to add more salt since ham is of course much saltier.
Absolutely! I have used up a lot of different leftover veggies in this recipe. I call it a "catch-all" in our house. So, at the end of the week, when my veggie drawer is full, I will clean it out and make soup. I have been known to use mushrooms, rutabagas, and even radishes or squash.
Nope, you could use heavy whipping cream if you like, or almond milk. Although, if you choose almond milk I would add a teaspoon of xanthan gum at the end and whisk until the chowder thickens. If you prefer a thicker chowder.
More Low Carb & Keto Soup Recipes
- Low Carb Instant Pot Pork Stew
- Low Carb Shepherds Pie Soup
- Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Keto Cheeseburger Soup (Instant Pot)
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Low Carb Pizza Soup
Keto Cheesy Ham Chowder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 carrots diced (can omit for strict keto)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic onion powder
- 4 cups chicken bone broth (homemade or storebought)
- 3 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips (small to medium-sized) peeled and diced
- 2 organic bay leaves
- pink salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets, and stalks diced
- 1 pound ham steak (or leftover ham chopped
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, garlic, and onion powder and cook until about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken bone broth and the heavy cream, then add the turnips and bay leaves then season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the turnips are fork-tender.
- Stir in broccoli, and ham, and cook 5 minutes longer or until broccoli is tender, and ham is warmed through.
- Remove from heat. Discard the bay leaves and slowly add the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses to the soup, whisking until melted.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (add salt or pepper) if needed.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
Wow I am in love with this.
I made this, it was quite good & my family actually ate it. Some trouble with the cheese settling to the bottom of the soup and not really getting incorporated. I used an immersion blender on the leftovers, yum.