This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This keto Coney Island Hot Dog Chili recipe gives you that taste of Coney Island without the carbs or having to pay for an airline ticket.
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
The keto Coney Island Hot Dog Chili is perfect for your game-day menu!
Super Bowl is like Thanksgiving for sports fans!
Am I right my football peeps?
Of course, I am right.
I mean think about it. A big group of people gets together to drink, argue, and stuff their faces with as much food as possible.
I rest my case!
To me, tailgating/homegating, Super Bowl or otherwise, isn't complete without burgers and dogs.
We also whip up some Keto Corn Dog Muffins for the little ones and those that like to nibble versus gobble.
No, I have to admit I have never been to Coney Island, a fact that makes me very sad I have always wanted to go. But that has not stopped my search for the perfect hot dog chili.
I grew up eating my chili burgers, and dogs, with regular chili. But, as I got older, I realized that beans have no place on a burger or a dog.
Of course, you can't have a chili dog without cheese and onions right? I like to pile 'em on, to the point that I need a python-like jaw to get it in my mouth. Who needs ladylike manners when it comes to football?
If you want to go really crazy, a good squirt of yellow mustard is pretty yummy too, but on this day I wanted the chili to really shine like a diamond, anyone else hearing Rihanna singing "shine bright like a diamond" in their head right now?
I am pretty sure she was not thinking of chili dogs when she wrote that song, but dammit I am!
I may be one of the only women in the world that would rank good food right up there with precious gems
Anywho, this chili is nice and rich, and thick, with a bit of spice. I made it for a bonfire party we had a couple of weeks back, and I should have made a double batch because it went so fast I didn't get a chance to have a dog of my own!
Oh well, it makes me happy to see people enjoying my food
So, if you are still looking for that little sumthin sumthin to add to your game day meal, look no further because you have found it!!
These are the ingredients necessary to make Coney Island Hot Dog Chili.
- olive oil
- ground beef
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- beef bone broth
- tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- white vinegar
- mustard powder
- Besti brown sweetener
- pink salt
- cracked black pepper
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
This is a basic breakdown of the steps involved in making Coney Island Hot Dog Chili. You will find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Cook the onion, garlic, and ground beef, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Onion and Garlic - to make this chili even lower in carbs you can substitute 1 tablespoon of onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder for the fresh onion and garlic.
- Ground Beef - feel free to use ground chicken, turkey, or pork if you prefer them to ground beef.
- Vegetarian and Vegan - use a plant-based ground meat substitute, vegetable stock for beef bone broth, and vegan Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos.
This is the equipment you will need to make Coney Island Hot Dog Chili:
Store any leftover Coney Island Chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can freeze this chili for 4 months.
You might be tempted to cook the chili at a higher temperature so it cooks faster. DON'T do it! Aside from thickening the chili, simmering it helps the flavors to amplify and bloom.
FAQ about Coney Island Hot Dog Chili
Believe it or not, it is from Cincinnati. In Cincinatti a "coney" is traditionally topped with Cincinatti chili, mustard, and chopped onions.
One legend says that the Coney Dog was spread across the eastern U.S. by various Greek and Macedonian immigrants, many of whom passed through New York’s Ellis Island and heard about or visited Coney Island, later they borrowed this name for their hot dogs.
Yes, this chili refrigerates and freezes well so you can make it ahead of time and reheat it when you need it.
More Keto and Low Carb Chili Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Best Easy Chili Recipe
- Keto Short Rib Chili
- Keto Chorizo Chili
- Tropical Turkey Chili
Coney Island Hot Dog Chili
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ground beef, breaking the ground beef up with a meat chopper.
- Cook until no pink remains, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Clear an area in the middle of the pot and add the chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste. Stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes to allow the tomato paste and spices to bloom.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates - approx 45 minutes.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.