This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.
This Low Carb Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce is not only rich and hearty but it is done in an hour, instead of simmering all day, by using the Instant Pot.
Join my newsletter and never miss a recipe!
MORE KETO & LOW CARB RECIPES
One of my favorite sauces has always been bolognese sauce. Ever since I discovered that rich and meaty sauce I was addicted to it.
But I wasn't a huge fan of the all-day cooking part of it and after going low carb I assumed it was off-limits due to the higher carb veggies in it.
If you are strict keto this might not be the recipe for you but, if you are flexible, or just low carb, this recipe is one that you will want in your back pocket, trust me!
I make a meat sauce that is super easy and tasty, but nothing compares to the richness and full flavor you get in this bolognese sauce. The veggies and red wine just take it to a whole new level.
Oh, I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit just thinking about it.
The Instant Pot makes this a recipe that anyone with an appetite and an hour can make. I used to cook my sauce all day but not anymore and you don't lose a thing, I promise.
This is also another one of my back-pocket recipes for non-keto peeps. I have served it to a lot of people and no one even suspects it is a low carb recipe.
Even the grandkids are on board with it so you know that makes me super happy.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE INSTANT POT BOLOGNESE SAUCE (LOW CARB)
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.INGREDIENTS
- Olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- Tomato paste
- Organic dried oregano
- Organic garlic powder
- Organic onion powder
- Pink sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Fresh ground nutmeg
- Dry red wine
- Heavy cream
- Crushed tomatoes
- Keto Italian sausage
- Ground beef
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Palmini noodles, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BOLOGNESE SAUCE (LOW CARB)
Heat olive oil in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting. Add the bacon mixture and cook for 3 or 5 mins, or until the bacon has rendered.
Add the sausage and ground beef, breaking it up with a meat chopper or wooden spoon. Continue to cook and stir until no pink remains - about 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to get any bits that might be sticking. Allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Then add the crushed tomatoes and water, and stir well.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, ensuring the steam vent is closed. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
Stir in the heavy whipping cream.
Serve over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or Palmini noodles. Top with grated parmesan and fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley.
FAQS ABOUT INSTANT POT BOLOGNESE SAUCE (LOW CARB)
What is the difference between Bolognese sauce vs. spaghetti/meat sauce?
Bolognese sauce originated in Bologna, Italy, and has cream, meat, and vegetables in it, while spaghetti sauce is tomato-based with or without meat and a blend of herbs.Can I use another ground meat vs ground beef in this bolognese sauce?
I have never tried and honestly wouldn't, but that is because we love beef and nothing else has that same flavor. If you are not a fan of beef, then I would say give it a shot!How should I store the leftover Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce?
I always make a full batch even if it is just my husband and I eating because this stores so well. I store mine in an airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Last thoughts about Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce (Low Carb)
This is one of my go-to meal prep recipes.
I can toss everything in the Instant Pot and it cooks away while I am making other things for the week. Then once it is done I can let it cool and then store it in 2-cup containers in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This is also another recipe that I love to make for people that just had a baby, or are dealing with crazy life issues and need a little help. They can heat it up, make some pasta or spaghetti squash, salad, or garlic bread, and BOOM they have a tasty meal they didn't have to work their butt off for.
MORE KETO AND LOW CARB RECIPES
- The Best Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Low Carb Chicken Alfredo Rollups
- The Best Keto Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Italian Sub Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Keto Pizza Pull-Apart Rolls
Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce (Low Carb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Mediterranean oregano
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon organic onion powder
- pink salt
- cracked black pepper
- Fresh ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes + 1 cup of water
- 1 pound Keto Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Palmini noodles, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles *See Notes
- Heat oliv eoil in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting. Add the bacon and cook for 3 or 5 mins, or until the bacon has rendered. Remove to a papertowel lined plate and reserve.
- Add the carrot and celery and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and ground beef, breaking it up with a meat chopper or wooden spoon. Continue to cook and stir until no pink remains - about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to get any bits that might be sticking. Allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Then add the crushed tomatoes and water, and stir well.
- Return the cooked bacon to the pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, ensuring the steam vent is closed.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream. *See Notes
- Serve over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or Palmini noodles.
- Top with grated parmesan and fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley.
- Nutritional information for the pasta alternative, fresh parsley, and Parmesan cheese not included.
- If you prefer a smoother sauce you can use an immersion blender at this point to create a creamier, less chunky, sauce.
Most of my recipes are low-carb (or keto) and gluten-free, but some are not. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. Recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs will not be included as it has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
If you like this recipe please leave a comment!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #BobbisKozyKtchn I love to see what you make. You might even make it into our newsletter!!
Thank you for reading and supporting the companies I partner with. Doing so allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you.